Dealing with the Insurance Company and the Police After a Car Accident

February 19th, 2020

No one can think clearly just after a car accident. The shock of the impact, the concern for all parties involved, the anger at the other driver and the fear of major damage will all come flooding in at once. Unfortunately, you can’t allow your emotions to take over after a car accident; you have to deal with the insurance company and the police.

With insurance fraud and perpetually bad drivers on the road, both the insurance company and the police can be difficult after you’ve been involved in a car accident, even if you aren’t at fault. They’ll ask you probing questions and repeat the same statements over and over in an attempt to get the truth from all drivers involved. This is where baltimore auto accident attorney can be of real help. With their help, you can ensure a smooth claim process and a reasonable settlement amount from the insurance company. This will help you in making the whole process less hectic for you. 

Call 911 or the Police

If there is even a slight possibility that anyone has been seriously injured in the car accident, your first reaction should be to call 911, either from a cell phone or a nearby payphone. Failing to do so can get you a ticket in many states, and can also result in a delay on your insurance claim. Get out of your car, check out all passengers, and ask the other driver if everyone is all right.

If it doesn’t appear that anyone was hurt in the car accident, go ahead and call the police instead of 911. You should keep phone numbers for local police precincts in your glove box for this very purpose. Give the person who answers a detailed description of what has happened as well as directions to the scene of the accident.

Call Your Insurance Company

Many people, after a car accident, are so frazzled and upset that they forget this very important step. It is not a good idea to wait until you get home to call your insurance company. They will tell you what information to obtain from the police as well as from the other driver and can advise you on what to do next.

In most states, car accidents with damages totaling more than $750 require the driver to obtain not only a police report but also to file an SR-1 form with their local police agency. This is a crucial step and if there is any possibility that the car accident will have damages higher than that, you should make sure the police are involved.

Keep in Close Contact

Dealing with the insurance company and the police after a car accident requires that you maintain constant contact with both parties. If you allow weeks to pass in between conversations or letters, you’re bound to hit snags that can cost you money and potentially result in an increase in premiums. Make sure you know exactly what is going on every step of the way.

In-car accidents with an uninsured motorist or an unlicensed driver, this is particularly important. You might wind up in court in order to collect damages, which requires even more contact with the police. Make sure they have thoroughly filled out their report before you sign it, and ask any questions you can think of at the scene of the accident.

Don’t Back Down

When dealing with the insurance company of the other driver, you might hit snags, such as mechanics who don’t do the job properly or contesting of your injuries. If you were hurt in an accident where the other driver was at fault, make sure you are compensated for all medical bills and treatment regimens. Many people don’t receive the care they need simply because they don’t speak up.